Don’t you love it when you’ve accomplished something? There’s that lovely feeling of ‘I’m really pleased with that’. It could be a pile of laundry, neatly ironed, or a cake, beautifully decorated, a garden freshly weeded or maybe the house spring-cleaned. Whatever it was, you identified the task that needed to be done and then took the action and did it. Or at work maybe you cleaned up your inbox, or sorted out the messy filing cabinet.
Nothing breeds confidence like success, and these successes can be big, or they can be small. A great way to start to feel more confident is to set goals for yourself, (small at first), things that can be identified and achieved quickly.
This is good for the brain! By setting yourself the task to do, and then following through and doing it, you are setting up a powerful message. One of the ways we learn to lose confidence in ourselves is that we say we’ll do something, and then put it off, again and again and again. Eventually we start saying to ourselves, oh you’ll never do that, and we stop even trying.
So try this challenge – pick 10 things that you want to accomplish and give yourself the next 10 days to do them. Now because you are going to be doing one a day they’ll need to be small and achievable in whatever time you have available during the challenge period, so choosing to paint the house, remodel the garden and run a half-marathon might be over-ambitious!
For instance, you might choose to
- Go round the house and note down all the small jobs that need doing but that you’ve been putting off for months. Then, if they’re easy to do, do one or two a day.
- Or you might decide to go through your wardrobe and throw out all the things you haven’t worn for 18 months (or give them to your local charity shop)
- If you have a home office, you might decide to tidy it up (I recently did this and it’s so much easier to focus when I’m not wading through piles of paper and books to get to my desk!)
Now you might be asking yourself, well, apart from getting some jobs done that I’ve been putting off, what will this do for me? Well you’ll immediately get 3 important benefits
- You’ll start to feel more confident. Lack of confidence manifests as fear and perfectionism. By taking action, doing more and achieving even small things your confidence will grow
- You’ll be developing the action habit – setting yourself a task and taking immediate action to do it.
- You’ll probably find that the benefit will overflow into other areas of your life. You may feel happier, and less stressed as you steadily make progress and discover how small actions, taken over time, can lead to huge changes in your life.
So, take the 10-day task challenge, as see what a difference it can make for you!
Change your Thinking – Change your Life
I am dedicated to helping you identify your strengths, boost your self-esteem and raise your confidence to new heights. My Confidence Coaching Program is suitable for both business and social situations. So for more information about how you can improve your confidence, contact me here